Bad habit fuels friend’s crime spree

H.P. court docket
Jan. 27, 2020
Judge C.K. Thietke

A middle-aged man who broke into two High Prairie businesses in 2019 will spend almost three more months in jail.
Marvin Russell Auger, 52, of Grouard, will serve 85 more days in jail after pleading guilty in High Prairie provincial court Jan. 27 to nine charges, including break and enter, and possession of stolen property.
Auger, who appeared from Peace River Correctional Centre on CCTV, was sentenced to a total of 185 days but credited with 99 days already serviced.
Court heard one of the businesses was Smitty’s Restaurant. After entering the building around 2 a.m., Auger stole several bottles of alcohol and decorative signage on the walls, Crown prosecutor Terrance Hudson told court.
Auger was sentenced to 60 days on the crime, less 59 served for the break-and-enter, and 20 days less 19 served for possession of stolen property.
Lawyer Harry Jong said Auger sold the items to help a close female friend buy drugs and alcohol.
“He needed the money to supply her habit,” Jong said.
Auger also broke into the Lesser Slave Watershed Council office in High Prairie on Jan. 14, 2019, the Crown said. He stole a microwave oven, a Ducks Unlimited framed print, an aloe plant, keys for a vehicle and ear rings. Auger was sentenced to 60 days less 17 days served.
Auger was also convicted and sentenced after pleading guilty to resisting a peace officer.
“He fled out a window in a house when police showed up to look for him on an unrelated warrant,” Hudson said.
Auger also failed to appear for court for trial, and was also sentenced for four counts of breaching conditions. All charges related to breaching his curfew to be at home from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Travis Sutherland, 27, of Grouard, was sentenced to 40 days after pleading guilty to assault and 20 days each on three counts of failing to appear in court.
He was credited for time served as he appeared from the Fort Saskatchewan Correctional Centre.
The charge arose after Sutherland beat his common law wife April 28, 2018, Crown prosecutor Terrance Hudson told court.
“He punched her repeatedly and she had bruising and scrapes all over her body,” Hudson said.
To aggravate the matter, Sutherland did not attend court on three trial dates.
“Domestic violence is aggravating,” lawyer Derek Renzini charged.
Addictions are an underlying factor in the incident, he added.
“He takes full responsibility,” Renzini said.
“Since being in custody, he has sobered up.”
Judge C.K.W. Thietke agreed with a joint submission for sentence by the lawyer and the Crown.

Brandon J. Morrison, 19, of High Prairie, was fined $700 after pleading guilty to hunting wildlife without a licence.
Fish and Wildlife officers from High Prairie checked for licences during a traffic stop on Nov. 30, 2019, Crown prosecutor Terrance Hudson said.
“He didn’t have a hunting licence and he didn’t have tags,” Hudson said.
Morrison admitted his error and pleaded guilty.
“He takes responsibility,” says duty counsel Derek Renzini, who spoke for Morrison.
“The plea is voluntary.”

Cody Ivan Warren, 29, of Beaverlodge, was fined $500 after pleading guilty to possession of stolen property.
The charge arose after Warrant was found inside a truck with a stolen licence plate.

Share this post

Post Comment