South Peace News
OK, so the Falher Pirates have no trouble with half the teams in the five-team NPHL.
It’s the other half that’s causing them fits.
The Pirates were blasted 10-3 at Grande Prairie Jan. 4, marking their third loss to the A’s this season. They are also 0-2 against the Dawson Creek Canucks.
However, the Pirates are solidly entrenched in third place in the NPHL standings thanks to a 6-6 overall record including 6-1 against the Manning Comets and Grimshaw Huskies. While the loss sets them seven points back of second place, the Pirates are still eight points up in the battle for third place and seem destined to stay that way the rest of the season.
The game started poorly for the Pirates in the Swan City and quickly deteriorated. The A’s scored less than four minutes into the game and built a 5-0 first period lead while outshooting the Pirates 18-7.
After trading four goals in the second period, the A’s outscored the Pirates 3-1 in the third despite being outshot 10-5.
The line of Braden Crone, Lyndin Himer-Lewis and Tanner Labbe did most of the damage accounting for 16 points. Labbe scored three goals and added two assists, Lewis two goals and three assists, and Crone six assists.
Brock Clement added a pair while Marc Viens, Sam Bosek and Kelvin Neustaeter added the others.
Jay Anderson scored twice for the Pirates, both on the power play in the second period. Hector Lamouche added an unassisted third period marker.
The Pirates get a chance to close the gap on the second place Canucks. They host DC on Jan. 11, then travel to DC on Jan. 16 before returning home to face the Grimshaw Huskies Jan. 18. The Pirates have to sweep DC in order to have any chance of placing second.
Pirates 3 at Athletics 10
Saturday, Jan. 4
- GP, Lyndin Himer-Lewis 5 (Tanner Labbe, Braden Crone) 3:33
- GP, Tanner Labbe 5 (Lyndin Himer-Lewis, Braden Crone) 8:22 (pp)
- GP, Brock Clement 1 (Bryce Lipinski, Riley Jebb) 10:00 (pp)
- GP, Tanner Labbe 6 (Braden Crone, Lyndin Himer-Lewis) 15:31
- GP, Sam Bosek 8 (Parker Sharp, Tyler Hartman) 16:19
Penalties: Neil Maisonneuve FAL (fighting major, game misconduct) and Tyrone Kipling GP (interference) and Lawrence Anderson FAL and Sheldon Hubbard GP (fighting majors, double game misconducts) 4:27, Jay Anderson FAL (slashing) 6:40, Jay Anderson FAL (roughing) and Tyrone Kipling GP (game misconduct) 8:22, Braden Crone GP (interference) 11:08.
- FAL, Jay Anderson 2 (Rollie Gladue, Kris Desjarlais) 3:19 (pp)
- GP, Kelvin Neustaeter 5 (Marc Viens) 4:58 (sh)
- FAL, Jay Anderson 3 (Jacob Anderson, Hector Lamouche) 5:21 (pp)
- GP, Tanner Labbe 7 (Lyndin Himer-Lewis, Braden Crone) 8:14
Penalties: Marc Viens GP (cross-checking) 1:22, Walker Cote FAL (high-sticking, misconduct) and Riley Jebb GP (instigating minor, fighting, major, game misconduct) and FAL coach Taylor Cote (game misconduct) 2:04, Morgan Eaton GP (cross-checking) 18:41.
- GP, Marc Viens 2 (Sam Bosek, Tyler Hartman) 1:14
- GFP, Brock Clement 2 (Braden Crone, Kyle Lipinski) 5:46
- GP, Lyndin Himer-Lewis 6 (Braden Crone, Tanner Labbe) 6:28
- FAL, Hector Lamouche 3 (unassisted) 7:43
Penalties: Darren Kramer FAL (instigating minor, fighting major, game misconduct) and Marc Viens GP (fighting major, game misconduct) 3:13, Braden Crone GP (holding) 9:37.
Shots on goal:
Falher 7 17 10 -34
Grande Prairie 18 14 5 -37
Goaltenders: Pirates, Ty Gullickson (Marc Gagnon in at 6:28 of third period), Athletics, Tyler Boe.
Power Plays: FAL 2-7; GP 2-5.
Penalties in Minutes: FAL 83; GP 77.